Tuesday 17 June 2014

Fill the gaps

Fill the gaps

a)       I am writing in connection with the negative attitude of a member of your staff.
b)       I am writing to ………………… about the ………………… of a product I purchased online from your website.
c)       I am writing to draw your ………………… to a ………………… in your customer services section.
d)      I wish to complain in the strongest possible ………………… about the ………………… I received from a member of your staff.
e)       The equipment I ordered has still not been …………………, despite my phone call to you last week to say that it is needed …………………
f)        Although you advertise yourself as a top-quality brand, the product I ………………… was well below the ………………… I expected.
g)       I would ………………… it if the faulty goods could be ………………… as soon as possible.
h)      I believe that I am ………………… to an immediate …………………
i)        I must insist on a full …………………, otherwise I will be forced to take the matter …………………
j)         ………………… I receive the goods by the end of this week, I will have no choice but to ………………… my order.
k)       I hope that you will deal with this ………………… promptly as it is causing me considerable …………………
Which words in the above sentences could the following words / phrases replace?
                

far          in spite of           obliged           option               defective          situation



















Conjunctions and discourse markers

Match the beginnings with the endings in the box

there were only 7 in the box
of the 8 that I ordered
the fact that I paid for 8.
Therefore, I am not prepared to pay your invoice.
so I am not prepared to pay for this.

but there were only 7 in the box.
However, there were only 7
in the box.
In addition, two of the covers were
damaged.

a
You only sent 7 DVDs, instead ……………………………………………………………………….
b
You only sent 7 DVDs, despite ……………………………………………………………………….
c
Even though I paid for 8 DVDs, ……………………………………………………………………….
d
I paid for 8 DVDs.  ………………………………………………………………..………………….
e
I paid for 8 DVDs, ……………………………………………………………………………………
f
Firstly, the quantity of DVDs was incorrect. ………………………………………………………….
g
You have still not resolved the problem with the DVDs, ……………………………………………
h
You have still not resolved the problem with the DVDs. ……………………………………………




















 Time prepositions
Fill in the gaps with appropriate time prepositions. Some items have more than one possible answer.

a.    You stated that it would be possible to deliver …………. one month, but you did not do this.

b.    You said that you could deliver …………… the end of February.

c.    We ordered the above PCs …………… 25 January, but they still have not arrived.

d.   We have been waiting for delivery …………… December. This is long enough.

e.    You assured us that it would be possible to deliver the brochures …………… 
1 March. However, they have not arrived and it is now 10 March.















 Common grammatical errors

Read the complaint below. There are 10 common grammatical mistakes highlighted in bold. Suggest corrections for as many errors as you can.


Dear manager

I would like to make a complain about the poor customer service I received from your company with whom I had a mobile phone contract from 2006.
In March 30th, I spoke to one of your customer service team member by phone and ask to end my contract with Mobocom with my last payment debited at the end of May. 2 days later, I received a contract termination form to fill out which I duly completed and sent back to you signed with the above information.
Today (July 1st) I check my bank statement and noticed that a charge was made to my credit card for the monthly payment of my phone contract. I called again to discuss about the issue with one of your customer service members. After wait a long time to get through to the English speaking service with your automated system, I got through to a member who not speak good English and not understand me. She consequently put the phone down and ended our conversation.
After another failed attempt at trying to get through to a human being by phone, I went to one of your stores on July 6th. Again I was met with incompetent staff who took no responsibility for the matter and instead passed me from employee to employee until finally one member of staff told me there was no record in the system of me cancelling my contract with you despite I had a copy of the termination form with me as proof. Not only did they treat me as if I was the incompetent customer, they asked me to fill in another form to cancel the contract at the end of July to which I refused.
As a result your company’s inefficiency has caused me a great deal of inconvenience and a lot of time wasted has been spent trying to do something that should be simple.
I would like you to give this matter your urgent attention as I am leaving Malaysia at the end of July and do not want to continue dealing with the same inefficiency from other country. If you do not I will have no choice but to take this matter to the papers and to give your company the negative coverage it deserves.


Please contact me as soon as possible so that this matter can be resolved.





No comments:

Post a Comment